Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gobble, gobble, goodbye sheep

My sister sent out the following message for Thanksgiving:

As my friend Rahma told me today--" i'yom Gobble gobble bizzef" -- Today gobble gobble alot. "Nicene howlie m'salama". Tomorrow, goodbye sheep.

She lives in Morocco. Eid Al-Adha, indeed, falls tomorrow this year, which means that... well, if today is bad for turkeys, tomorrow will be bad for sheep. The day involves the sacrifice of sheep in obedience to God, as a memory of Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son Isaac.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I was just wondering if your sister was still in Morocco. Are they having another sheep sacrificed this year? A neighbor took care of that for them last year, right?

Rufus said...

Yeah, she didn't want to hang around for it, so I think she went to Spain during the killing! I think she's gotten used to the idea of it now. They're pretty much done with the killing by noon and then all the meat goes to the poor.