Saturday, July 01, 2006

And the Crowd Goes Wild

Well, France beat Brazil last night, and I got to see it in a cafe in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower, so that was fun. Paris went nuts, but in a good way- a sort of outpouring of joy. I was in the Mission in San Francisco when the 49ers won the Superbowl over a decade ago, and that was a bit more wild: burning matresses in the street and gun fire and so forth. And when our local college would win at basketball, the fans used to turn over people's cars. This was more like kids riding down the street on their mopeds with their girlfriend on the back playing the bongos. A little sillier and more fun. Of all the places in the world I could have been last night, I'm glad I was here. (I wish my wife could have been here. But, otherwise, it was perfect)

No comments: