Thursday, February 16, 2006

Protecting Toothopolis

After a long standoff with all dentists worldwide, I finally gave in today and had my teeth inspected. The last time I went to the dentist, and I know this is horrible, was in 1994.

Yes, I know. I know.

The thing is, I never could visit the dentist before working at the university because I never had either insurance or money before. When I got insurance, it still took some time for me to get the nerve up to go and get the inevitably bad news. I was literally shaking when I went in.

So, they sat me in the space capsule and took X-rays of my teeth while I fidgeted and muttered. The final outcome... one tooth has to get pulled, and the others are all fine.

The bad news is that I have "severe bone loss" under my gums, which is as bad as that sounds. Yuck. So, I have to go get scraped under my gums, which sounds like something from a Kafka story. But, theoretically, I will not lose my teeth. So, that's nice.

No comments: