Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Riot Nrrrds

Remember what I said about Richmond, VA?

The Richmond school system was selling $50 used laptops on Tuesday- which quickly led to a riot. There was a stampede "with people getting thrown to the pavement, beaten with a folding chair and nearly driven over." One woman even peed her own laptop rather than surrender her place in line. "People threw themselves forward, screaming and pushing each other. A little girl's stroller was crushed in the stampede. Witnesses said an elderly man was thrown to the pavement, and someone in a car tried to drive his way through the crowd."

"Jesse Sandler said he was one of the people pushing forward, using a folding chair he had brought with him to beat back people who tried to cut in front of him.

"I took my chair here and I threw it over my shoulder and I went, 'Bam,'" the 20-year-old said nonchalantly, his eyes glued to the screen of his new iBook, as he tapped away on the keyboard at a testing station.

"They were getting in front of me and I was there a lot earlier than them, so I thought that it was just," he said."

No comments: