Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Good News

See, the other difference between now and then is that there's a lot more of us than there used to be. When I was a kid, it was just the weirdo punk freak kids that hated the war. For everyone else in my town, it was like the fourth of July, the Superbowl and Christmas all rolled into one. It was awesome. When I was 14, I heard someone say that there was probably nothing really wrong with gays; this was the first time in my life I'd heard this. When I was 15, I heard someone say, for the first time, that maybe athletes weren't really better than other people. So, of course, I gravitated to punk rock- otherwise, I felt pretty damn alone.

But, that's all changed, hasn't it? The tide is turning, isn't it? Oh sure, this is an era of war, hysteria and braying stupidity. Sure. But, these times they are a changing... Now, everyone I know is sick to death of the way things are. Teachers, bookstore owners, shopkeepers. I don't know a damn person who's happy with this war, or this culture, or the media. At all. Mark my words- something's coming and it's bigger than anything you expect. There are a lot of ideas that have been in the wilderness for far too long. Fuck, ideas as such have been in the wilderness for far too long.

Kathleen Hanna was right here too. First, we have to get off the Internet, and get back into the world. And not just to go shopping for more stupid shit.

But, that will happen in time. Mark my words- change is inevitable. I look forward to it.

No comments: